We all agree that a functioning sewer system is essential for a comfortable and healthy home. However, it’s often not until something goes wrong that we give it any thought. One of the worst problems homeowners can face is a sewer backup. This unappealing and often costly issue can cause significant damage and health hazards. But what actually triggers a sewer backup?
Zippity Split Plumbing will delve into the root causes of this problem, shedding light on how your sewer system works, what can go wrong, and most importantly, how you can prevent these issues from occurring in your home. So, let’s navigate the murky waters of sewer backups together.
Reasons Your Sewer is Backed Up
Several factors can contribute to a sewer backup. Understanding these reasons can help you take preventive measures and address issues promptly. Here are common reasons why your sewer might be backed up:
- Tree Roots: Tree roots seeking moisture can infiltrate sewer pipes through small cracks or joints. As they grow, they can cause blockages by obstructing the flow of wastewater.
- Grease Buildup: Pouring grease down drains can lead to a buildup of fat and oil inside the sewer pipes. Over time, this accumulation can constrict or block the pipes, causing sewage to back up.
- Flushing Inappropriate Items: Flushing non-flushable items such as baby wipes, sanitary products, paper towels, and facial tissues can contribute to sewer blockages. These materials do not break down like toilet paper and can create clogs.
- Collapsed or Damaged Pipes: Sewer pipes may deteriorate over time due to age, corrosion, or soil conditions. Collapsed or damaged pipes can impede the flow of wastewater, leading to backups.
- Heavy Rainfall or Flooding: Excessive rainfall or flooding can overwhelm the sewer system, causing it to back up. In some cases, stormwater may enter the sanitary sewer system, putting additional pressure on the pipes.
Regular maintenance and proper disposal practices can help prevent many of these issues. If you notice signs of a sewer backup, it’s essential to contact a professional plumber to diagnose and address the problem promptly.
How to Prevent a Sewer Backup
Preventing a sewer backup involves adopting good practices and performing regular maintenance to ensure the proper functioning of your plumbing system. Here are some tips to help you prevent sewer backups:
Proper Waste Disposal
Avoid flushing non-flushable items such as wipes, sanitary products, cotton balls, and paper towels down the toilet. Dispose of cooking grease and oil in a container and throw it in the trash rather than pouring it down the drain.
Schedule regular inspections of your sewer lines by a professional plumber to identify potential issues before they lead to backups. Consider using a video inspection to get a detailed view of the inside of your sewer pipes.
Dispose of Hazardous Materials Properly
Avoid pouring hazardous chemicals or materials down drains, as they can damage sewer pipes and contribute to blockages.
Periodically clean your drains using environmentally friendly drain cleaners or a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Have your septic system (if applicable) pumped regularly according to local regulations.
If you’re unsure about the condition of your sewer system or suspect a problem, it’s advisable to consult with a licensed plumber for a professional assessment and necessary preventive measures. Regular maintenance and responsible usage can go a long way in preventing sewer backups and maintaining a healthy plumbing system.
Sewer Services in Phoenix, AZ
Choose Zippity Split Plumbing for expert sewer repair services in Phoenix, AZ. Our skilled team is dedicated to providing efficient solutions for your plumbing needs. With a commitment to quality service and customer satisfaction, we’ll have your sewer system running smoothly in no time. Contact us today for prompt and reliable plumbing assistance.
$35 off any first time customer
Call us to schedule your service or request a free estimate today.
What We Do
Our team is comprised of expert sewer repair and trenchless pipe lining specialists who will service you with professionalism and speed.
Tankless Water Heater